Strategic Facilities Plan

In April 2017, Chelan PUD commissioners agreed to have staff take the next steps in developing a long-term view by confirming concepts and assumptions used to develop the proposed strategic facilities plan. 

Commissioners asked for staff to move forward with detailed engineering, design and financing analysis. No decision has been made to move or build any particular facility. In the next 60-90 days, staff will be looking into greater detail at costs, resources, land availability, scheduling and even greater community collaboration and communications. Recommendations to build any specific facilities will come back to PUD commissioners for approval. 

Board members weighed public comment, seeking refinement of the recommendations on how to enhance customer experience while producing long-term benefits for PUD customer-owners through increased employee productivity and reduced operation and maintenance costs.

Options developed so far in a two-year look at PUD facilities, and endorsed by a customer advisory group, call for:

  • Building a new, combined headquarters and operations center north of the Wenatchee River, and selling existing PUD properties.
  • Providing a combination of new construction and renovated structures at Rock Island and Rocky Reach dams.
0:00 / 0:00

Commissioners also heard from Linda Haglund, Wenatchee Downtown Association executive director. She conveyed concern from small business members in downtown about the impact of PUD business and utility operations moving away. Collaboration will be very important, Haglund said, on future plans for facilities the PUD may leave, as well as where a new combined facility might be headed.

“We embrace that message,” said General Manager Steve Wright, “And, we will make sure we have a good community conversation about where we might go and what might happen here.”

Commissioners set up a reserve fund in anticipating of paying for future facilities. With two commissioners away, board members deferred the decision on how much to put in the fund until a meeting when all commissioners could discuss an amount.