Chelan PUD Commissioners in November 2022 closed the RFP process for the redevelopment of Fifth Street without selecting a contractor. They directed staff to propose a range of options for next steps for redeveloping the Fifth Street campus.
On Feb. 21, staff presented the Commission with five potential options. That presentation can be found here. The staff recommended Option #4 (Phase I & Phase II). Several community members, including the YMCA and Music Theater of Wenatchee, as well as the Wenatchee Downtown Association and the Chelan-Douglas Regional Port Authority spoke in support of Option #4. In a unanimous vote, the Commission selected Option #4, Phase I and asked the staff to come back in late June for an update.
Under the new redevelopment model, staff will:
- Negotiate directly with the YMCA to become the anchor tenant for the site and acquisition of specific parcels to begin development of the Y’s new headquarters location;
- Work with the Y and Music Theatre of Wenatchee to meet parking needs for both facilities;
- Discuss with Music Theater of Wenatchee the acquisition of the PUD’s Fish & Wildlife Building;
- Invest in site improvements such as demolition of existing buildings, creating internal circulation routes, remediation and/or installing needed utilities;
- Identify a broker who will seek a developer or developers for the remaining parcels consistent with the overall redevelopment priorities previously identified by the PUD, the City of Wenatchee, the Chelan-Douglas Regional Port Authority, Downtown Wenatchee Association, the Greater Wenatchee Chamber of Commerce, the community advisory group, along with the comments received during the public outreach effort.
The PUD plans site preparation and demolition work to begin in early 2024.