Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning
Using a generator or other fuel-burning device within your home
can produce carbon monoxide that can kill you. Carbon monoxide
is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when any fuel is
Advice from the EPA
Do not use fuel-burning devices such as gasoline-powered
generators, gasoline-powered pressure washers, camp stoves and
lanterns, or charcoal grills in homes, garages, or any other
confined space such as attics or crawl spaces, or within 10
feet of windows, doors or other air intakes.
Have vents and chimneys checked to assure that debris does not
block or impede the exhaust from water heaters and gas
If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a
fuel-burning appliance, get to fresh air right away. Go to the
emergency room and tell the physician you suspect carbon
Get more information about avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning.