Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

Using a generator or other fuel-burning device within your home can produce carbon monoxide that can kill you. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced when any fuel is burned.

Advice from the EPA

Do not use fuel-burning devices such as gasoline-powered generators, gasoline-powered pressure washers, camp stoves and lanterns, or charcoal grills in homes, garages, or any other confined space such as attics or crawl spaces, or within 10 feet of windows, doors or other air intakes.

Have vents and chimneys checked to assure that debris does not block or impede the exhaust from water heaters and gas furnaces.

If you start to feel sick, dizzy or weak while using a fuel-burning appliance, get to fresh air right away. Go to the emergency room and tell the physician you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.

Get more information about avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning.

Want outage alerts? Follow us on Twitter.