Are three-digit temps cramping your stay-at-home summer? A few simple adjustments can help you stay comfortable and save money on your electric bill:
- Let your house breathe. Poor ventilation can trap warm air inside your home, so use your bathroom and cooking range exhaust fans. Ceiling fans are another energy-efficient way to circulate air, plus they allow you to keep the thermostat about 4 degrees higher.
- Use windows to your advantage. Open your windows at night to let in cool air and keep blinds closed during the day to keep the sun out. Upgrade to energy-efficient windows to keep cool and increase your home value, and you may be eligible for a PUD rebate—now with double the cash back.
- Turn up the thermostat. Keep your home’s thermostat around 78 degrees during the day and if comfortable, turn the AC off before going to bed. Smart thermostats can save energy by automatically adjusting to your personal schedule -- and can earn you a $100 rebate. Find out more here.
- Upgrade your cooling. Outdated heat pumps and air conditioners can raise cooling costs, especially as temperatures soar. Upgrade to a new energy-efficient heat pump or ductless heat pump and receive a rebate of up to $1,400 from Chelan PUD. More info here.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Heating water accounts for about 90 percent of your washing machine’s energy use, so use cold water instead.
Chelan PUD increased – in some cases doubled – rebates for home improvement projects, such as insulation and window replacement.
"We want to make it more affordable to replace inefficient single-pane windows, especially where the heat source is not a heat pump," said Josh Mitchell, residential energy adviser. "We also want to make it more affordable for homeowners who don’t have any insulation in their attics, walls and floors to put some in these places so they can save energy for the next 40 years."
Beyond cash back for energy efficient upgrades to your home, Chelan PUD is also offering assistance for anyone struggling to pay their utility bill. For details, call the customer relations team at (509) 661-8002 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., or email firstname.lastname@example.org.