The Chelan River is rated Class V / V+ (expert)
Reservation Requirements - Whitewater Boating on the Chelan River
All participants in whitewater boating activities on the Chelan River must comply with the following reservation requirements:
- All participants must complete the whitewater boating reservation form online (below) or in person in the Chelan PUD offices in Wenatchee or Chelan by 5:00 p.m. on the Friday prior to the date of the release.
- All reserved participants must be physically present at the designated kayak put-in location by 10:00 a.m. on the date of the release.
- No kayaker less than 18 years of age will be allowed and photo identification including date of birth must be presented upon request at the put-in area, prior to entering the river.
- It is recommended that all participants scout the river ahead of time on the day of the run.
- It is recommended that all participants watch a 20-minute video of kayaking in the Chelan River Gorge ahead of time, which is available on the Chelan PUD’s website.
- Each participant must sign a liability waiver form and fax it to Chelan PUD (509-661-8152) by the Friday before the run or bring it with him/her to the put-in area, prior to beginning the run.
- All participants will be asked to fill out an on-line survey within one week following the run.
Only non-motorized, hard-shelled kayaks or inflatables suitable for Class V whitewater and approved by American Whitewater in consultation with Chelan PUD will be allowed.
- A minimum number of kayakers is not required for water releases. However, the Safety Code of American Whitewater discourages boating alone. In light of the unique challenges of this run, a minimum of two paddlers must be present at the designated kayak put-in location.
- An American Whitewater representative must be designated and present to oversee both days of the event and to serve as a point of contact between Chelan PUD and the paddlers should any questions or issues arise.
- Chelan PUD will not be obligated to provide whitewater boating flow releases in the Chelan River when the previous day's average Stehekin River inflow is less than 333cfs, or when the Mid-Columbia Index is greater than $150/MWh (2001$) as adjusted pursuant to Section 10.1 of the Settlement Agreement.
Emergency Response is limited in the Chelan Gorge. Prior to submitting your reservation, please read the letters from the Chelan County Sheriff's Office and the Chelan County Fire District 7.