Here are some cold-weather tips to prevent your electric bill from getting out of hand AND help reduce stress on the electrical system:
- Cozy up with a sweater, not the thermostat. Turn your heat down 1-2 degrees, or the lowest temperature you are comfortable with, and put a sweater and/or blankets on yourself.
- Let the sun in during the day but close your drapes at night. Take advantage of that solar heat gain but eliminate the heat loss after the sun goes down.
- Heat where you are. If using baseboards or zonal heating, only heat parts of the home that you will be using.
- Check your water heating settings. Do not have the thermostat set above 125 degrees.
- Eliminate drafts from doors. Use a door draft stopper/guard or just a blanket to prevent unwanted heat loss. Minimize how often you are going in/out of your home.