Chelan PUD continues to build upon its Wildfire Mitigation Program to protect critical infrastructure from fire damage and reduce the likelihood of ignition from electrical equipment.
Chelan PUD’s Fire Mitigation Program includes:
- Increased tree-trimming and brush removal
- Fire-retardant treatments
- Steel poles or undergrounding where feasible
- Increased inspections during fire season
- Coordination with local agencies
- Refurbishments and replacements of aging infrastructure
- Increasing the sensitivity of fire protection systems
- As a last resort, fire safety outages in fire-prone areas during critical fire weather (windy and dry conditions)
The risk of catastrophic wildfire in Chelan County has increased over the past decade, due to factors outside of our control: Declining forest health, increased development and recreation in fire-prone areas, and more extreme fire weather. Our focus is on holistic prevention; fire safety outages are considered a measure of last resort when public safety is threatened.