Heat Pump Upgrade and Conversion

Heat Pump ContractorsRebates of $500 and $1,400 are available 

Air-Source Heat Pump Upgrade   $500
Electric Forced-Air Furnace to Air-Source Heat Pump Conversion   $1,400

To qualify, customers must use contractors certified through the Performance Tested Comfort Systems (PTCS) program. PTCS is a regional program promoting quality installations to ensure energy savings and comfort. Check with your contractor to determine whether the contractor is PTCS certified and is participating in Chelan PUD's rebate program.

If you have questions, email Chelan PUD at conservation@chelanpud.org or call (509) 661-8008.

To be eligible for a rebate, heat pumps installed under this program:

  • Must have a minimum 9.0 Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF)
  • Must have a minimum 14 Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER)           
  • Must use a PTCS-certified contractor. Search for a contractor. (Click on graphic at right to enlarge.)

New or existing single-family homes and manufactured homes are eligible.

Customers whose homes are primarily heated with an electric heat source qualify for this rebate. Customers who have natural gas as a heating source but choose to upgrade to a super efficient heat pump and keep their natural gas furnace as a backup qualify for the $500 rebate.

Air-Source Heat Pump Upgrades – $500

Heat pump upgrades include

  • replacing an existing heat pump
  • replacing the heat pump portion of a ground source heat pump system
  • upgrading from zonal (radiant, wall, baseboard) to an air-source heat pump
  • adding a heat pump to a system with gas back-up

Forced-Air Furnace Conversions – $1,400

  • The installation must convert an electric forced-air furnace to a high efficiency heat pump

Homes with heated floor area greater than 4,500 square feet or with two separate duct systems may claim up to two heat pump measures when two qualifying heat pumps are installed.

HOMEOWNERS – Follow these steps

  • Work with your contractor to make sure your heat pump meets PUD requirements.
  • After installation, ask your contractor to provide you with these completed documents:
  • Submit all documents (or ask your contractor to submit them) to Chelan County PUD, PO Box 1231, Wenatchee, WA 98807-1231 or by email, conservation@chelanpud.org.

CONTRACTORS – Follow these steps

  • Go to the Performance Tested Comfort Systems (PTCS) Home page here. You can find links to specifications, technical issues, customer benefits, forms, applications and training.
  • Ensure that PTCS Air Source Heat Pump Installation Specifications are followed. Include the sizing and balance sheet from the installation. Get help from BPA's Heat Pump Sizing Calculator. Contractors can also provide their own sizing calculations.
  • Fill out the PTCS Air Source Heat Pump Form to use for installation registration and to provide to your customer.
  • Go here to the Performance Tested Comfort Systems (PTCS) Online Site Registry and Log-in. This is where you register your installation.