Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs)

Variable Frequency Drives (VFD)


Protection badge icon

Reduces equipment wear and tear

Control panel with keypad

Greater system control and flexibility

icon of plant with money

Lower operating and maintenance costs
Variable frequency drives (VFDs) can make your life easier. Have better control, reduce the wear and tear on your motor and bearings, and save money on your utility bills.

Plus, Chelan PUD will pay for up to 100% of the cost of your upgrades.


icon of money


Incentive amounts depend on the application. Evaporator fans, compressed air, and cooling towers are equipment that commonly benefits from the addition of a VFD, depending on how it's run.

Please contact Jim White, Chelan PUD senior energy conservation engineer, about your project and to learn about your incentive amount. 
dollar sign in circle

Yes! Any upgrade costs beyond PUD incentives qualify for low-rate EnergySmart financing.


icon pen writing on paper


1. Contact Us

Contact Jim White, Chelan PUD senior energy conservation engineer, for help determining the potential savings of your VFD project.

2. Confirm Pre-Approval

If Chelan PUD agrees that the proposed VFD will likely save sufficient energy, PUD staff will send you a signed copy of the Irrigation Pump Resource$mart Application.

3. Install VFDs

Complete the installation of the VFDs on your equipment.

4. Submit Invoices

Once the installation is complete, send us a copy of the invoice and receipts which show the total cost of purchasing and installing the VFD to or:

Chelan County PUD
PO Box 1231
Wenatchee, WA 98807-1231


icon of arrow pointing right

What Happens Next?

icon of papers

We'll review your application and invoices, and contact you if anything is missing or we need more information.

icon of clipboard with checkmark

With your paperwork complete, we'll schedule an inspection to make sure your VFD was installed as agreed upon.

icon with money in envelope

If all checks out, you'll receive your incentive payment in the mail, or we can pay your contractor directly.


Jim White, senior energy conservation engineer

Hi, I'm Jim.

Questions? Talk with Jim White, Chelan PUD senior energy conservation engineer. Call (509) 661-4829 or email