Rachel Hansen | Jun 20, 2022
The evaluation team involved in re-envisioning Chelan PUD’s Fifth Street campus recommended two proposals for further consideration by commissioners Monday. (at 00:15:55 of the board audio)
The evaluation team includes Chelan-Douglas Regional Port Authority, City of Wenatchee, Wenatchee Downtown Association, Chelan PUD, and Wenatchee Valley Chamber of Commerce. They met in late May and again last week to evaluate and rate four redevelopment proposals submitted in May. Two development firms, GTS and Steinhauer Properties, were ranked the highest of the four proposals.
Both proposals complement a vibrant downtown, said Stacie De Mestre, public works and capital projects manager for the Chelan-Douglas Regional Port Authority.
“We all agreed that Wenatchee has never seen projects of these levels,” De Mestre said. “Not only are the developers proposing significant investments, but their proposals showed that they both have the experience and track records to be successful.”
The ranking criteria – which was based on the plan developed by the community advisory committee in 2019 -- included: Project vision and overall project concept, financial feasibility, the developers’ experience with projects of similar scope and scale, and community benefit -- including support for existing uses, public services, and job creation.
Here’s a summary of the shortlisted proposals:
- Four LEED-certified new buildings: A YMCA facility, 100+ unit multi-residential apartment building, 240,00 square-foot mixed-use office and a 3,000 square-foot café
- Two renovated and adapted buildings for mixed-use offices and education
- Underground parking, plus diagonal spaces along N. Wenatchee Ave for Riverside Playhouse parking
- All new buildings: A YMCA facility, 172-unit residential apartment building, 211-room upscale hotel
- Indoor/outdoor dining, retail and maker’s space
- Greenspace and above-ground parking
As for next steps, the PUD will receive public comment on the top two proposals through July 5. During this comment period, the previously established community advisory group will meet to discuss the proposals.
On July 18, PUD staff will seek commission approval to engage in further discussion with the shortlisted firms and request that they provide additional information regarding their proposals for final selection.
“On behalf of the commission, I want to thank all of you and your organizations for the great work,” Board President Steve McKenna said. “You’ve worked diligently on our behalf to help narrow these options down … to a couple of recommendations to consider. I appreciate the hours that have gone into this work, and I would like to commend you for that public service.”
All of the proposals are available for review at the Port’s website, https://www.cdrpa.org/5thstreetrfp. To submit comment on the top two, visit chelanpud.org.
In other news, commissioners:
- Approved the bid advertisement, award and contract execution for the modernization of Dryden Wastewater Treatment facility in order to meet environmental requirements by the state Department of Ecology. (01:04:30)
- Approved the general manager to enter a large load transmission interconnection agreement. (01:58:10)
* * *
Here for you, providing the best value for the most people for the longest time chelanpud.org