On April 16, 2018, PUD commissioners approved new fees and charges for investigation and enforcement of unauthorized services including cryptocurrency and similar data operations and for the loss of useful life for overtaxed power equipment. The unanimous action puts the fees and charges in effect immediately. Read more
The action comes as PUD staff continues to find unauthorized cryptocurrency mining – two to three a day on average.
Commissioners extended amnesty for assessing the fees until May 14 in cases where customers without authorized service, and no history of HDL use or suspected use, stop mining immediately and notify the PUD, prior to hearing from the utility. May 14 is the public hearing on the application moratorium imposed on March 19 for new high density loads.
Chelan County PUD commissioners voted March 19, to stop taking or processing applications, effective immediately, for electric service for cryptocurrency mining.
They unanimously imposed the application moratorium after reviewing impacts on utility operations from existing loads and applications for service. This pause will allow lessons learned to be adopted for the existing, under-5 megawatt (MW) rates and policies as well as to develop new rates and policies for above-5 MW loads. Learn more
High Density Load Customers under 5 MW
On July 18, 2016, Chelan PUD Commissioners adopted a new rate that applies to all High Density Loads (Resolution 16-14059). On Jan. 2, 2017, Rate Schedule 35 went into effect, and includes server farms, crypto-currency mining or other activities that use a significant, continuous amount of power.
High Density Load Customers larger than 5 MW
Chelan PUD Commissioners and staff currently are working on policies for load applications greater than 5MW. Any actions under consideration or adopted will be posted here.
Links to recent presentations and media coverage on the subject are provided below.
Presentations and Customer Communications
- Cryptocurrency defined_ If it looks like bitcoin - Wenatchee World, July 10, 2018
- County adopts code language, skips bitcoin freeze - Wenatchee World, April 10, 2018
- Cities_counties hit pause button on bitcoin projects - Wenatchee World, March 28, 2018
- This is what happens when bitcoin miners take over your town - Politico, March 2018
- Is bitcoin a waste of electricity or something worse - New York Times, Feb. 28, 2018
- Canada's Hydro Quebec unable to meet demand from digital currency miners - Reuters, Jan. 19, 2018
- Bitcoin mining epicenter found in rural Wenatchee Washington - CNBC, Jan. 11, 2018
- Bitcoin miners seek massive power - Data Center Frontier, Jan. 10, 2018
- China moves to shutter bitcoin mines - Financial Times, Jan. 10, 2018
- Bitcoin Mining Editorial - Wenatchee World, Dec. 28, 2017
- Bitcoin operations overwhelm Chelan County PUD - NCWLife, Dec. 20, 2017