Chelan PUD crews continue to work on restoring power to about 300 Wenatchee customers who are without electric service in the area from Third to Idaho streets from Buchanan to Cove streets. Chelan PUD is targeting 5 tonight for restoring power to those customers.
With the bitter cold, customers in surrounding neighborhoods can help out each other, and Chelan PUD crews, by turning down their thermostats to 68 degrees, or lower if comfort allows. Chelan PUD is making this request to customers in central Wenatchee, from Ninth to Ferry streets, from the Columbia River to Western Avenue until crews finish investigating the cause of the outage.
“We appreciate the patience of our customers who have been without power since this morning,” said John Stoll, Customer Utilities managing director. “In making the request of their neighbors to lower thermostat settings as comfort allows we hope to ease the demand for power in that area until we determine what caused the outage.”
Chelan PUD customers in Wenatchee who are without electricity are invited to come to the PUD Auditorium at 327 N. Wenatchee to warm up with hot coffee and to plug in and charge mobile phones. It will remain open into the evening until power is restored.
Customers can enter the auditorium from the door on Wenatchee Avenue near the Fifth Street intersection or from customer parking behind the headquarters building, which is reached from Fifth Street.
PUD crews have restored power to about more than two-thirds of the 2,000 customers affected by the power outage reported around 7 a.m. Friday. The outage occurred at Miller Substation.
PUD line and substation crews and engineers moved in a mobile substation this afternoon to help restore power and to carry the load while they investigate the cause of the outage.
The PUD’s outage line – 877-783-8123 - is working for customers needing to report any problems with utility services. Regular updates also are being posted on Facebook.com/ChelanPUD, on Twitter @ChelanPUD and under the big blue “Outage” button on the homepage at chelanpud.org.
During a power outage in your area, remember these tips for your safety:
- If you see a downed power line, assume it is live and stay away. Do not try to remove tree limbs from power lines
- Report a power or PUD water outage by calling our 24-hour line, 877-783-8123. Listen to the recording and stay on the line if you have information to add or a special need
- Leave a porch light and/or one inside light on so crews easily can tell when power is restored
- Unplug electronics and major appliances. Food in a refrigerator or freezer should be ok for 24 hours if the doors are left closed, You can plug things back in about ten minutes after power is restored. if you have electric heat, please turn it off and restart it about 10 minutes after power is restored, too
- Leave a little water running in your taps to make sure your water pipes don’t freeze
- If using a portable generator, make sure appliances are plugged directly to the generator or disconnect your home from the PUD’s electric system with a transfer switch installed by a licensed electrician. Here is more information about back-up generators
- Do not use fuel-burning devices, like gasoline-powered generators, gasoline-powered pressure washers, camp stoves and lanterns, or charcoal grills in homes, garages, or any other confined space such as attics or crawl spaces, or within 10 feet of windows, doors or other air intakes Using these items in your home can produce carbon monoxide, which can be deadly.
- Visit chelanpud.org and click the blue “Outages” button on the home page for more information
If there is a fiber outage:
- Call or check your service provider’s website for information or to report a problem. The provider will let Chelan PUD know if repairs are needed on the broadband network.