The rebate for commercial ductless heat pumps is $350 per ton of installed outdoor unit heating capacity for each DHP unit serving a qualified indoor space. To determine tonnage, divide installed BTU capacity by 12,000 and round up or down to the nearest tenth.
Ductless heat pumps make good retrofit add-ons to buildings with “non-ducted” heating systems, such as hydronic (hot water heat), radiant panels, and space heaters (wood, kerosene, propane). They can also be a good choice for room additions where extending or installing distribution ductwork is not feasible. Be sure to choose an ENERGY STAR® compliant unit and hire an installer familiar with the product and its installation.
Like standard air-source heat pumps, mini splits (ductless heat pumps) have two main components — an outdoor compressor/condenser and an indoor air-handling unit. A conduit, which houses the power cable, refrigerant tubing, suction tubing, and a condensate drain, links the outdoor and indoor units.
Qualifying applications for DHPs include those installed in commercial areas that meet the following requirements:
- The building (thermally isolated space) conditioned by the DHP must have less than 20,000 square feet of conditioned floor area.
- The zone conditioned by the DHP must have the following characteristics:
- Electric resistance heat
- Operation hours of at least 40 hours/week
- No commercial kitchens, commercial refrigeration or process loads (including data or server rooms), where the total connected load is over five watts per square foot
- Installed DHPs must have the following characteristics:
- An inverter driven outdoor compressor unit and a variable speed fan or indoor blower
- Fully ductless
To apply for the DHP rebate please submit to Chelan County PUD:
- Equipment/contractor invoice showing (a) measure requirements have been met (e.g., manufacturer, model number, type, size and quantity of equipment or product installed/used), (b) the order/purchase date and (c) cost
- Completed Ductless Heat Pump Project Information Form.
Chelan PUD Conservation
PO Box 1231
Wenatchee, WA 98807-1231
Phone: (509) 661-4187