Chelan PUD commissioners Monday reviewed the foundation of the 2020 budget, which will be built around the utility’s strategic initiatives and business plans. Staff will bring a draft budget to the commission for review on Nov. 4.
“Our strategic plan is the cornerstone that helps guide our budgeting processes,” said General Manager Steve Wright. “Our customer-owners’ input has been invaluable as we develop a roadmap for the future.”
The budget assumes customer electric load growth of nearly 4 percent in 2020. Water use is expected to grow by 2 percent and wastewater by 1.5 percent. The PUD projects about 1,100 fiber installations next year.
The commission will consider the budget for adoption at its Dec. 2 meeting.
In other business, commissioners:
- Applauded PUD Wireman Caleb Durkee for taking personal ownership to identify bolts on lifting equipment (00:15) that needed to be inspected during a turbine reassembly. His forward-thinking attitude resulted in a bolt being removed from service and an engineering review of lifting equipment.
- Heard an electric load growth update (00:26), which projects a “base case” annual growth rate of 1.3 percent for the electric system (lower growth due to energy conservation) and a record number of about 1,000 new meter installations. Commissioners also received a status update on the design and construction/upgrading of seven PUD substations, including a mobile substation.
- Received an update about proposed “fire hardening” of electrical infrastructure (01:16) in the area between Chelan and Manson in anticipation of additional community outreach. Staff included information about steps the utility is taking in the area of fire resilience.
- Were briefed on recent community meetings (01:50) in Leavenworth, Entiat and Manson that provided customers with information about upcoming fiber expansion plans.
- Oct. 31 – Discovery Center closes for season & renovation
- Nov. 1 – Night at the Museum: Saying Goodbye, Discovery Center, 5:30 p.m.
- Nov. 4 – Commission meeting, 10 a.m.
- Nov. 6 – South Confluence Area Workshops at Confluence Technology Center, 11 a.m. & 4:30 p.m.
- Nov. 11 – Veterans Day (PUD offices closed)
* * *
The next regular PUD commission meeting is at 10 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 4, in the boardroom at 327 N. Wenatchee Ave.
Chelan PUD records most commission meetings, and a link to the audio is available on the PUD’s home page at www.chelanpud.org. Find us at Facebook.com/ChelanPUD and follow us on Twitter @ChelanPUD.
Here for you, providing the best value for the most people for the longest time –