There’s so much planned for visitors to see and do at Rocky Reach Dam this year that the Visitor Center will be open an extra two weeks in 2017.
The popular museum, fish viewing, playground and park opens for the season on Wednesday, March 1 and will welcome visitors through Nov. 12. Admission is always free.
“We’ve listened to our guests – from the area and from around the world – and worked hard to add a little sizzle to the science of hydropower,” said Debbie Gallaher, who manages the Visitor Center. “Our goal is to immerse guests in the Native American history of the Wenatchee Valley, for them to experience the journey of salmon passing the dam and to join Chelan PUD in caring for our rivers and the environment.
“We invite everyone to visit and to discover the great variety of fun and learning we offer.”
Even as programs and displays are fine-tuned, visitors will discover and/or re-discover favorite exhibits and activities, Gallaher said. Guided Individual and group tours are available, or visitors are welcome to explore at their own pace.
People of all ages can:
- Look a salmon in the eye through giant windows in the fish ladder
- Travel back in time by exploring exhibits in the Museum of the Columbia
- Take the wheel of a steamer to steer her past the “rocky reaches” of the river
- Marvel at the power of the Columbia River from viewpoints inside and outside the powerhouse
- Stretch their legs and their imaginations in the 30-plus acre park
- Test their skills on a GPS-assisted treasure hunt
- Enjoy lunch or snacks at Mama D’s café
Picnic shelters and park areas can be reserved for family and church events. You can even get married under the popular Wedding Pergola!
Watch chelanpud.org under “Rocky Reach Visitor Center” for events and summer science classes. You also can stay in touch on Facebook.com/VisitRockyReach.
“We’re counting down the days until March 1,” said Gallaher. “There’s so much to do and see at Rocky Reach Visitor Center. We can hardly wait to share it with our visitors and customer-owners!”
Rocky Reach Visitor Center is seven miles north of Wenatchee on Highway 97A (5000 Hwy. 97A N) on the Chelan County side of the Columbia River.